Monday, June 6, 2011

Weekend Adventure

This last weekend, Jon came for a visit and we decided to go for a hike! We have plans of going backpacking sometime this summer, so we wanted to get our new backpacks all figured out and to see how they will feel hiking with them. We had a great time. It was our favorite kind of hike- the kind where you can enjoy the path or take detours, explore, and be adventurous. We definitely took our time on the way there, stopping to take pictures, fish, and look at the skeleton of a dead horse on the side of the path (super strange), but we sort of hurried on the way back. This might have been because we (O.K., I) had a little bear scare. We had stopped to eat our lunch and were seated right at the bottom of a little canyon, with a river on one side and a grassy hill covered in trees on the other. I heard a noise. Now, if you know me, you know that I am kind of a big chicken, but trust me, I actually thought it was something this time. ;) I walked as quickly as I could almost halfway back trying to not look like I was shaking in my boots, but I think he could see right through me. After I was satisfied with the distance away from the "bear" that we had traveled, we sat again and finished our lunch. It sounds pretty silly now to think back on it, because it probably wasn't a bear roaring like I thought it was. I was not about to risk it though!  All in all, it was a great day. Can't wait to do some real backpacking sometime soon! 

An old wood stove from a cabin that used to be out here.


My sweet boys.

I love the reflection in the water!


Before the bear scare. [I still had a smile on my face! :)]

Carving something into the stone...

Awww :)


My man fishing in the river.

Our little mountain goat.

My mountain man.

My turn! Casting out.


2 comments: