Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Suzy Homemaker

I have been such a bad blogger these last few days..but I have been so busy! I started my new internship yesterday. Orientation finished today, so tomorrow I'll actually get to start doing some marketing.

I got a new (ok, it's super old, but brand new to me) sewing machine from my fiance (he knew I had been wanting one so bad!!) and I have been busy! Yesterday I made a dress. It was the first thing I have sewn on a sewing machine since I was about 8 with my grandma. I  put together a sewing box over the last year and had some fabric I'd bought at a thrift store hoping to someday get a sewing machine, and finally put that fabric to use! I saw a tank top pattern online and thought I'd try that. Well, when I'd realized I had forgotten to cut more than one arm hole, and I'd already started sewing parts together, it was too late to cut another arm hole, so I decided to turn this thing into a dress! I don't know why, but somehow it turned out great! I turned the neck hole into a neck/arm hole so that it could be a dress with one shoulder strap. I made a longer hem on the bottom, and used the extra fabric to make a belt! I was so proud of myself. When I tried it on, it fit me perfectly too! So strange. Beginners luck I guess.




Tonight, I made a pillow. I didn't have enough filling to fill the whole pillow, so after it was already made and mostly all sewn together, I decided to add a couple inches of hem on the edges, and then all that extra space was taken up, and it looks good! I've made a couple pillows by hand as well that were pretty cute.

The one in the front is the one I made this evening. The one in the back is the one I did by hand, along with the pictures below.




Sunday evening, I went out to water and check on the garden. It is doing so good, and apparently loves the heat here. We have new tomatoes growing, new strawberries, giant sunflower plants (minus the flowers so far) and the corn is loving this terrain as well. Everything else is coming along great too.

This picture of 4 zucchini plants was taken about 3 weeks ago, and they are giant now!


This is a strange bug I found... anybody know what it is??

We have a ton of lady bugs! 

We have two cilantro plants that are doing great.

Mmm garlic chives.. can't wait to use some of these for cooking.

These are my growing sunflowers! Like I said, these photos are about three weeks old, so these guys are huge now!


This sunflower is one we planted as a small plant already, and it's taking off!

A nice little flowering coming up on a squash plant.

I already ate this strawberry a week ago when it turned red, it was so delicious!!


Hope you enjoyed reading my blog this week. There have been so many new changes this week, but I hope to get a routine going again by Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment