Saturday, June 25, 2011

gardening, sewing, and other things.

After I got off work yesterday, I decided to explore a little town nearby for a bit.  Since Jon wasn't able to visit this weekend, I decided I'd go look for some new tennis shoes (cross trainers) and stop at a nursery I'd seen before. It seems like whenever you're not looking, you find something. Whenever you are looking, it is the hardest time finding whatever you're looking for! My shoe hunt yesterday was exhausting. I went to 4 stores before I finally found my shoes at the 5th store. I tried them on and fell in love instantly. My feet were happy. 

I did stop at the nursery, somewhere in between that shoe search as well, and found my new favorite flower! They are called Portulaca, aka Moss Rose. Apparently they spread quite a bit. I would love to have those in my yard someday. I bought some and think they are just the cutest little things I have ever seen!I also bought some yellow marigolds to put in my flower box that hangs off the side of my deck, and another big succulent to add to my deck collection. 

When I got home, I went out to check the garden and found a jungle instead! The sunflowers are almost as tall as I am (Ok I'm not tall or anything, but come on, it's exciting!), we have 13 squash and 6 zucchini growing and about 5 cucumbers, 4 tomatoes, strawberries (that are super yummy), and herbs that were like trees! My cilantro was like a giant bush, so I chopped quite a bit off, along with some rosemary and chives. I used the rosemary and chives in some delicious chicken I made for lunch today, and have yet to use the cilantro, but I'm thinking about making some salsa tomorrow. The cilantro is SO fragrant, I think it's going to be very tasty. 

After I stopped by the farmers market today to help take down my work's booth, I decided I would go play with some puppies or kittens at the humane society since I am missing my Charlie so much. Not one dog was half as cute as him, but I did find this little gem. If I was allowed to have cats at my apartment, I would have taken this two month old baby home today. She was the sweetest. 

As I'd been sitting at home today thinking about what I should do with myself the rest of the day, I thought it would be fun to sew something, but thought I was all out of material. However, I looked in my sewing box and found a random piece of scrap I'd found at a thrift shop, and started researching easy sewing patterns. I found a pattern for a purse (it's really a satchel) and decided to go for it. I thought it would take up at least a few hours, but nope.. I banged that thing out in less than an hour somehow!I've impressed myself each time I start a project with how quickly I finish it!


Cilantro

Chives

Rosemary

Insert left strap into right strap...

Which closes it up!

Marigolds from my deck

Inside the flower box.


Portulaca
Portulaca

Such a delicate little rose!


Newest succulent addition. The picture doesn't do it justice. Such a pretty light lavender color.
Some succulents from my deck that are going crazy and need to be separated and re-potted.

Adorable little offshoots.



1 comment:

  1. Here in Texas portulacas grow like MAD. I always have to best luck finding sprouts and replanting them in pots on my porch. By far the easiest plants to manage!

    -Katherine

    www.byKatherineElizabeth.com

    ReplyDelete