Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Green Thumb?

So, as I was coming inside the house after going to the garden, I thought to myself, I must either be very lucky that the soil and heat and whatever other factors that are making my plants and veggies grow like crazy... or I just have a green thumb. :)


This is everything I picked today. 4 zucchini, 4 squash, and 7 cucumbers. I left about 6 zucchini and 5 cucumbers and 2 squash to pick Friday before I go home so I can take them to my mom! The gigantic bundles of tomatoes are finally starting to turn red, one is especially more red than the others, and I am wondering what in the world I am going to do with all these tomatoes. I like to cook with tomatoes and put them in things, but I cannot stand raw tomatoes... I am thinking maybe I should do some canning and have like stewed tomatoes for a few months that I can use for cooking? Not sure! The corn looks like it's going to be ready soon; each piece is fairly large . . I am going to have to do some reading on when to pick corn I suppose. My eggplants are getting much bigger which is exciting, except for there are only two of them, and I am guessing that is all I will get all summer. My broccoli is getting much bigger as well, which is exciting! Everything else is still doing what it's supposed to do as well. I just feel like it has already been such a fruitful summer!

I thought I'd share my favorite gardening tools with you. You can always use a pair of gloves (I mostly use them when handling the cucumbers because they are very prickly!), a mini handheld shovel, scissors to chop off the very thick stemmed zuch. and squash, and whatever that thing is on the right... I use that for weeding. :) 

That's all for tonight... I need to do some homework and then figure out where to store all of these veggies! I can't leave any kind of produce sitting out for even a day it seems like before it starts to get moldy since it's so hot here!

No comments:

Post a Comment